The role of this position involves taking advanced brake products from concept through prototyping and development to the point where the product is ready for a production vehicle application. The advanced brake products could be caliper, rotor, a brake set or something that does not currently exist in the market. The design and development can focus on new products as well as improvement/enhancement of existing products.
- Complete concept & detail mechanical or electromechanical design including design for manufacture and assembly
- Develop the technical specification for desired performance of the development and keep updating it as necessary
- Perform and comprehend the necessary calculations required for the development
- Act as the project technical leader to gather and understand all related information for technical advancement
- Organize design review with the manufacturing engineer team as well as project review with the management team to make sure product development completion on time
- Direct CAD designers to complete 3D models and drawings as necessary
- Check the CAD models and drawings to ensure their integrity; release drawings accordingly to support production cost estimation and prototype quotes
- Complete the initial concept DFMEA and continually update it throughout the life of the development
- Lead or support prototype order and procurement
- Work with the test engineer(s) to create DVP&R, execute the defined test plan and review the test results/reports
- Develop countermeasures as necessary to meet performance specifications
- Bookshelf the final design upon the successful development, which includes releasing the final technical specification, related design calculation, and the design manual or guideline
- Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) from a four-year college or university is minimally required. At least 3 years of automotive related experience or equivalent is a must. Need to show evidence of creative work such as any patent application/award, or experience in inventing new products or processes.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
- Write speeches and articles for publication that conform to a prescribed style and format
- Ability to effective present information to peers and interpersonal skill to teach other associates in testing
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Exercise independent judgment to perform essential duties
- Develop instructions and guidelines to perform functions of the job as necessary
- Knowledge of GD&T and manufacturing processes.
- CAD software knowledge, e.g. Catia, Solidworks, AutoCAD
- Provide theoretical calculation and test data analysis to develop new products, processes and related countermeasures
- Basic understanding in statistical analysis. Ability to use Minitab or the equivalence is a plus
- General Microsoft Office software: Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
This position requires the following physical abilities: to sit; to use hands (to finger, handle, or feel), to reach with hands and arms, to stand, to talk, to hear and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. In addition, the specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is mostly sedentary; however, there is occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and vibration and to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.