The Human Resources Manager is a hands on position which manages all aspects of employee relations and policy development within the scope of ABCS (Columbia, South Carolina Plant). This position also requires involvement in Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, Compensation, Benefits, Compliance, Reporting and any other task as requested. The HR Manager will also manage a team of HR Generalists / Specialists.
- Plans, Develops and implements all phases of policies and programs and assists management in its interpretation and application.
- Responsible for the strategic growth the Human Resource function
- Ensures a positive team member relations environment which facilitates organizational development, productivity, profit maximization and business plan achievement
- Responsible for all departmental functions to include: Employee Relations, Safety , Training and Development, Recruitment, Wage and Salary Administration, Personnel Administration, and Employee Benefits Administration, and Record Keeping
- Responsible for development and implementation of Wage and Salary Budgets
- Participates in overall business planning and strategy formulation ensuring Human Resource direction meets overall business objectives
- Responsible for Worker Compensation program to include insurance provider selection, program implementation, legal compliance, and return to work program development.
- Responsible for Occupational Health programs including medical provider selection, record keeping, pre-employment physicals, and return to work determinations.
- Prepares Human Resource and Health, Safety & Environmental budgets to support current programs and future initiatives
- Responsible for compliance with relevant federal, state, and local laws, as well as community and ethical standards
- Responsible for the development and implementation of equal opportunity, anti-discrimination and similar programs
- Responsible for ensuring that the team member quality level is maintained at the highest level possible
- Assists Environmental Management System Management Representative as needed
- Ensures compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
- May be required to train others.
Education and/or Experience (minimum required for the position)
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology, or other related field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in human resources management, or equivalent commensurate experience. PHR/SPHR Certification is a plus. Automotive manufacturing industry experience required.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Clear understanding of employment laws and regulatory systems and requirements.
- Experience in coaching and counseling others, and an ability to manage upwards.
- Ability to improve processes and utilize talent management systems including: applicant tracking systems, JazzHR, LinkedIn, Akebono Talent Management Website, etc.
- Experience with all varieties of HR issues with a tactical, hands-on approach.
- Ability to define problems by collecting data, establishing facts, drawing valid conclusions and proposing alternative solutions related to human resources challenges.
- Ability to be results-driven and self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple competing deadlines. Excellent organization skills.
- Skills to effectively present Akebono as a brand and communicate Akebono’s value to potential candidates, recruiters, and the public at large.
- Ability to work effectively with business partners and provide expertise with HR issues.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to perform essential duties.
- Ability to develop instructions and guidelines to perform functions of the job when necessary.
- Skill with Microsoft Office products. Must have data management knowledge including working in databases and spreadsheets (i.e., Access and Excel).
This position has direct supervisory experience. It will provide the team with direction and guidance to ensure projects are prioritized and planning processes provided are in place to ensure project deadlines are achieved. This includes selecting and hiring associates, training and evaluating associates to enhance performance, development and work product, as well as, addressing performance issues and making recommendations for personnel actions. The Manager will work with the Plant Manager / Vice President to motivate and reward associates including pay adjustments and promotions within allocated budgets and company guidelines.
This position requires the following physical abilities:
to sit; to use hands (to finger, handle, or feel), to reach with hands and arms, to stand, to talk, to hear and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. In addition, the specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is mostly sedentary; however, there is occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and vibration and to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
There may be some travel required to other Akebono facilities, therefore ability to drive a motor vehicle and fly is required.