The Network Engineer ensures the stability and integrity of the data circuits, network hardware and wireless capabilities for each site Local Area Network as well as the North American Wide Area Network. The Network Engineer will oversee and participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, optimization and documentation of all network hardware, software, and communication links. This Includes managing multiple projects, planning network technology roadmaps, and configuring/optimizing network services both internally and those integrated with Internet-based services. The Network Engineer will be responsible for reporting on customer and vendor SLAs and track outage and issue status reporting related to network issues with all data and equipment providers. This individual will also analyze and resolve network service problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide reports, documentation, and training where required.
- Hands on background configuring switches, routers and firewalls to support multi-site LAN’s, Internet access and the Enterprise WAN including design and support of failover configurations.
- Intermediate to Advanced level of experience designing and configuring BGP, OSFP, VTI’s, ACL, QoS, STP, VLAN, LACP and related protocols.Experience with SDWAN technologies a plus.
- Coordinates network projects related to new construction, building expansions and upgrades to existing facilities working with on-site staff and vendors to develop RFQ’s for outsourced work and hardware acquisition related to network needs.
- Manage, document and maintain status on multiple projects at any given time serving as the Project Manager for multiple infrastructure network projects at all North American sites including building expansion projects.This position requires technical Network Engineer abilities, IT Project Management skills and Vendor Relationship experience.
- Enter all network devices in the network monitoring system, currently SolarWinds, and make sure SNMP monitoring and configuration changes are functioning and follow a change and configuration management policy.Monitor WAN performance and performs necessary network maintenance and upgrades.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the processes and documentation for network management (e.g. asset, capacity, change, configuration, continuity, life cycle, problem, vendor, and support contract tracking) for the purpose of effective processes.
- Firewall experience with Fortinet Fortigate product lines, or similar policy based firewall systems.Capable of setting up new firewall policies and able to troubleshoot and determine policy setting issues with outside connections.
- Able to design, test and deploy network infrastructure upgrades for all network hardware and data circuits across North America.
Education and/or Experience (minimum required for the position)
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in computer science or related field or any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
5+ years configuration and monitoring experience with Cisco networking products (Routers, ASA, VPN Configuration, VLAN’s) required. CCNA required, CCNP preferred (internal candidates with experience need to demonstrate a willingness to achieve certification in two years).
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong LAN / WAN configuration skills / experience
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to generate creative solutions; Translate concepts and information into images; Use feedback to modify; Apply principles.
- Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully; Develop alternative solutions and create formal development requirements from user requirements.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and manage individual responsibilities.
- Strong skillset at displaying original thinking and creativity; Generating suggestions for improving work; Developing innovative approaches and ideas.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to perform essential duties.
- Ability to develop instructions and guidelines to perform functions of the job when necessary.
This position requires the following physical abilities: to sit; to use hands (to finger, handle, or feel), to reach with hands and arms, to stand, to talk and hear and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. In addition, the specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.