The primary function is to lead and manage the cross-functional APQP and launch team (90 days after SOP) in the framework of the “Akebono Program Management System – APMS”.
The position will manage multiple programs by ensuring the on-time-delivery of all APQP, launch and financial performance aspects associated with the project.
- Overall APQP and launch responsibility, as well as “Program Profit & Loss (P&L) accountability” in accordance with APMS and official APQP guidelines. Main conduit between manufacturing plants, the Akebono headquarter (AEC) and the customer in regards to APQP, launch, and delivery activities. On-site at manufacturing location, as needed, to ensure APQP and launch coordination.
- Define, generate and manage all component and sub-system timing and roll-up timing for all plants, including components, suppliers and customer milestones
- Lead cross-functional APQP meetings, including internal and external (customer and suppliers) teams
- Manage and track open issues as they affect the APQP process, milestones, and deliverables
- Ensure “On-Time-Delivery” (OTD) and “In-Cost” (IC) of all key APQP elements, define recovery plan for late items or elements “outside of defined cost targets”, and use appropriate escalation process
- Provide Voice of Manufacturing to customer by leading all “Program Reviews” as defined by Akebono APQP and APMS (Akebono Program Management System).
- Generate and present “Program Reviews” to Executive Management (according to standard format)
- Manage all program elements of APMS (to be reviewed upon request).
- Fulfill the “APMS mission”: “Transition from a timing driven organization to a financial performance driven organization”.
- Provide Business input to all associated program Change requests - CRs (approve/reject authority) until 90 days post SOP.
- Manage the OTD of prototype parts. Work with manufacturing plants to define prototype strategy.
- Manage the OTD of all material supply chain, capital equipment and tooling for product launch, including Process Sign-Off, PTR, and PPAP submission
- Manage the execution of the Safe-Launch including manage/resolve any production delivery concerns
- Lead program(s) post-SOP change management, including manage and track open issues. Drive open issues to closure through tracking, delegation, and escalation as needed.
- This only applies to “Complex changes” according to our definition (changes that require new tools or new equipment and hence generate a significant financial impact), vs. small changes managed by the PPM – Plant Program Management group.
- Provide timing on all process and/or design changes; present to customer as needed
Education and/or Experience (minimum required for the position)
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Business (B. S.) from four-year college or university and a minimum of 5 years job experience directly related to foundation brake and/or friction material engineering at a company which supplies the passenger car and light truck market or at a vehicle manufacturer is required. Familiarity with the customer brake system development process is necessary.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- In order to manage programs successfully, apply leadership skills such as “Direction / Decision making / Team motivation / Communication / Role model for process adherence”.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to represent Akebono Corporation interests in the customer’s environment while maintaining a cooperative relationship with the customer.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
This position does not have direct supervisory responsibility. However, this position is required to lead cross-functional teams and manage the multiple competing deadlines from each of the interfacing departments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Travel to visit other Akebono facilities may be required. Therefore, the ability to drive a motor vehicle or fly is required.