Tests, develops, and validates mechanical, electromechanical brake components and electronic control modules of both new and existing brake designs. Brake designs include hydraulic calipers, mechanical and electromechanical service and parking brakes.
- Plans, executes and reports on experimental and validation tests on brake components, including electromechanical components.
- Plans and analyzes dimensional measurement of brake components.
- Analyzes test results and prepares and submits test reports for approval.
- Works with design, mechanical, control, and electrical engineers to ensure compliance with customer’s specifications and timing requirements.
- Designs and writes test procedures primarily related to electromechanically assisted calipers.
- Develops required test equipment from concept to commission, including mechanical design, sensor and actuation sizing and selection, supplier management, equipment control and calibration and data acquisition.
- Develops required instrumentation, analysis tools for both experimental and validation level testing.
- Is familiar with function generators, digital multimeters, oscilloscopes and virtual instruments.
- Experienced with use of analysis, simulation and/or programming software (LabView, Visual Basic, etc.).
- Ability to interpret mechanical drawings and, preferably, electrical schematics.
- Leads technicians in procedures and technical aspects of caliper or electrical testing and measurement execution.
- Organizes test samples. Performs minor modifications to test samples when necessary. Ability to build caliper and electromechanical assemblies from components.
- Create fixture/test equipment 3D assemblies and drawings and develop test equipment using commercial software (SolidWorks, Auto-Cad, etc.).Use of GD&T on drawings.
- Maintain “Electromechanical Test Lab” area organization, appearance and safety.
- Attends internal and external customer meetings and provides test status updates as needed.
Education and/or Experience (minimum required for the position)
Bachelor's degree in engineering (B. S.) from four-year college or university. Internship in a test lab environment a plus.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to write engineering reports that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
This position does not have direct supervisory responsibility. However, this position is required to lead cross-functional teams and manage the multiple competing deadlines from each of the interfacing departments.
This position requires the following physical abilities: to sit; to use hands (to finger, handle, or feel), to reach with hands and arms, to stand, to talk, to hear and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. In addition, the specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is mostly sedentary; however, there is occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and vibration and to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.