Execute requisite brake tests using laboratory equipment and other methods, analyze data, interpret test procedures, write test reports, dynamometer test code, and meet with internal/external customers on various technical issues.
- Reviews project requirements and other supplied information to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment, nature of technical problem, and possible solutions such as part redesign, substitution of material or parts, or rearrangement of parts or subassemblies.
- Creates and maintains DVP&R process, responsible for completing all required testing and following APQP process.
- Sets up and conducts dynamometer, vehicle, and other tests on complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate design proposals for improving equipment performance or other factors, or to obtain data for development, standardization, and quality control.Follows daily dynamometer test schedule and is proactive in getting parts ready by working with various departments and customers.
- Analyzes indicated and calculated test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modifies or adjusts product to meet specifications.
- Develops new test procedures as needed, write test reports documenting testing results and makes recommendations for changes in product or test method. Is expected to manage test programs independently, meet all deadlines, write test code, create data reduction templates, and train others as needed.Have strong knowledge relating to brake friction material performance, brake NVH solutions/methodology for most NVH related issues, and hands on knowledge in dynamometer laboratory, and ability to perform dynamometer setup and testing on their own.
- Adherence to all Federal, State, and Akebono safety rules and regulations.
Education and/or Experience (minimum required for the position)
Engineering degree (BSME preferred) from accredited four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in automotive brake design or test is preferred.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write procedures, reports, and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
This position requires the following physical abilities: to sit; to use hands (to finger, handle, or feel), to reach with hands and arms, to stand, to talk, to hear and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. In addition, the specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is mostly sedentary; however there is occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and vibration and to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Travel to visit other Akebono facilities may be required. Therefore, the ability to drive a motor vehicle or fly is required.